Background

18 September 2011

Wind Swept




I was sitting in the lounge this afternoon when I glanced out of the window at blue skies and sunshine, and decided to go for a walk. I grabbed my camera and headed for the beach just a short walk away.

Once I had picked my way through the rubbish that gathers at the top of the beach, caught in the small dunes and unable to find its escape back to the sea, I walked along the hard, flat sand for a while.

The beach was busy with families, and people walking their dogs, not caring about the wind which was whipping the waves into wild white horses. Each group oblivious of the next, wrapped up in their own little worlds and making the most of the late summer/early autumn sunshine.

Dotted along the beach is Antony Gormley's Iron Men installation "Another Place." Stretching over 2 miles, the 100 metal statues are revealed and submerged as the tides ebb and flow. I am not sure what I think of an artist making multiple copies of his own body, probably a discussion for another time, but they do bring people to the area and that is no bad thing.

I tried taking photographs, but I think that I wobbled a bit in the wind, as they are all a touch fuzzy.

2 comments:

  1. OOh the Anthony Gormley sculptures sound a bit weird, would like to see them, can I see a couple in the picture?
    Theres nothing like a good walk along the sea, I so miss where I grew up for that !
    ren
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are two in the photo (one directly in front of the tower). They are fun to see when the tide is high and all you can see are heads appearing to bob on the waves.

    ReplyDelete